Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Pharmaceuticals and huge breech babies

I had an appointment with the perinatologist today and discovered that this baby is breech.  Still.  Or again.  Cause I swear he turned and was riding low for a week or two.  But he is definitely all up in my ribs again.  Estimated to be about 6  1/2 pounds now at 36 weeks.  Still measuring a week older - 37 weeks and they estimate him to be around 8 1/2 pounds if I go a full 40 weeks by dates.  That is fricken crazy.  That sounds huge to me.  Jackson was 7 pounds and he was a week late.  This is a huge baby!  I can't imagine birthing such a big baby. 

Course if he doesn't turn over I'll have to have a c-section. 

So it is just about decision time about whether we want to try to manually turn him over.  On Tuesday I see my regular OB and we'll discuss whether to attempt a version or not.  It would be done in the hospital because there are risks involved and they would need to be ready to do a section if something went wrong - like the placenta tearing away or the baby not liking it and going into distress and other complications all of which are reportedly pretty rare.  I understand having it done is either mildly uncomfortable or really painful, depending upon who you ask.  And the chances of success are 50 to 60 percent.  And there is also the chance that if he does turn over and I go home that he turns his little heiney right back breech because that is just the way he wants to be. 

Course if successful and he stays head down, then I avoid major abdominal surgery.  So I don't know what to decide.  My friend Google says that a lot of women who have it done are bruised and sore afterwards and the ones who were successful say it was hard but worth it and the ones who were unsuccessful say it was painful and hard and they wish they hadn't bothered trying. If any of you out there have had a version and want to share the experience, go for it.

Blech.  So I dunno what to decide.  I'll talk to the doc on Tuesday and see what he says.  I'd sure like to avoid a c-section.  But not sure if the external version is the right thing either.  Hey, I know.  Maybe this baby should just turn his little ass over all on his own.  That would work too, right?

So the perinatologist isn't happy about my coughing and wheezing either.  I have been on the Augmentin for 7 days and the prednisone for three.  He says they would have worked by now if they were going to.  So I can stop them both and he is switching me to azythromicin to see if that will help.  So third antibiotic trial begins tonight.

He also sent me for a chest x-ray.  He says that pregnant women make internal medicine docs like my pulmonologist very nervous.  And that he has absolutely no problem ordering a shielded x-ray on me to take a look.  Said it would take 100 x-rays to give enough radiation to affect the baby.  And that at his gestational age, they x-ray babies at birth all the time without a problem.  So I did the x-ray this afternoon and they already reported that it looks fine.  No evidence that the lymphoma is coming back.  Just have some resistant gunk in there that may just take some time to clear up.  So that is good news.  Sort of.  It doesn't fix my cough, but at least we know now that it isn't the cancer recurring. 

So the folks at the pharmacy are getting to know me by sight now after our summer of pharmaceuticals.  Between me and Jackson we are buying out the place.


Julie said...

That sucks! Sorry about the possible version. I have no experience with it personally, but I do have friends that did it and said yes, it does hurt. But hell, it's got to hurt less than recovery from a c-section right? So I'd guess it was worth a try. And you have been through so much pain already with flying colors, I bet you wouldn't think it was much at all:)
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Anonymous said...

You know all my views on natural childbirth, BUT I also say thank goodness for c-sections which are awesome when needed. It is nothing to be ahsamed of if its the best thing for you. I do however know that estimating the size of a baby is an art and I can count the number of Dr.'s that are usually correct on one hand. Don't let anyone scare you with baby size. Heck, my 5'2 grandma delivered my 12 pound father at home.


Julie said...

I have to say, all the stories I've heard on turning babies have ended up with the baby just turning back again. And I've heard OTHER stories of just waiting it out, and magically the baby turns at the last minute.

Maybe you should look at info about percentage of actual breech deliveries instead? I just have so much faith in the body and the BABY being ready when the time comes. I think sometimes docs put too much emphasis on "breech" too far in advance of delivery date.

And if he's breech, and you go into labor, can you THEN make the choice to do a C-section?

I hate to think of you being all bruised and sore for naught.

Lastly, at the risk of sounding ridiculous, what about something gentle, like acupuncture?

Let me know if there is ANYTHING we can do to help, as you prepare for this beautiful new Sraby! :)

Susanne said...

Marsha,whatever we or you have to do..I just want you and the baby to be ok...let me know if there is anything I can do to help..and you do know I know how to drive in, just be ok.My thoughts are with you all the time,
And where did this big Baby come from? Not from our family..lololo must be yours???
Just be well, that is all what counts in my book....