Saturday, October 04, 2008

Busy Weekend...sooo tired...

It has been a very busy couple days. Last night my Dad came to town to see David's show and we took Jackson to stay at Kid space for the first time. We had gone on Thursday afternoon to check out the place and register. It is a drop-in childcare center that is open til 10 p.m. on weeknight, 12:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday and 7:00 p.m. on Sundays. I have had a hard time finding help watching Jackson lately, mostly because lately I have been wanting to get out of the house more often to see shows and have a social life. Wendy, who is in the show with David recommended Kid Space and has been using it for years. So we decided to give it a try. They have a large open play space with lots of toys and things to do and Jackson seemed to enjoy himself on the visit Thursday. They answered all the questions I had and we set him up to come stay on Friday so Dad and I could see David's show.

We dropped him off about 6:30, had a great dinner at Outback Steakhouse and headed in to Austin for the show. Which was awesome. It was my fourth time seeing it and I enjoyed it as much this time as the last three times. How could I not enjoy this perfect mix of vocal and comedic talent? I am not going to gush anymore, cause it would be boring and redundant, but really, I am proud to know these actor and overjoyed to be married to one of them. Wow.

After the show, my Dad drove my car home while David and I went to fetch Jackson. Kid Space turns down the lights and puts out sleeping mats about 9ish as they transition the kids to 'quiet time.' But we were not surprised to find Jackson wide awake and happy to see us when we got there. I had hopes that he would sleep, and maybe at some point he will sleep when I take him there. But he doesn't want to miss anything and that means I need to temper my use of evening Kid Space to make sure I am not causing too much sleep deprivation. He was tired already fro a few late nights this week, but him being up till midnight last night meant he really needs to make up on some sleep.

And so do I. Late nights this week - saw David's show on Wednesday, helping out my Mom and Tonya on Thursday and then last night. Not just the show, which kept me out til midnight. It was a really weird night. I was too tired to sleep well, my body ached with it, but I couldn't manage much more than a surface, dream-heavy sleep. Was not restful. And Jackson was probably feeling the same way; he came flopping into my sleep space about 4:00. And then the weird started. At 5:30 in the morning I thought I heard the doorbell ring. My Dad sleeping in the guest room heard it too and we met in the hallway. I let him answer it cause I am a chicken.

But I shouldn't have been. On my porch were three young ladies dressed in some kind of costume resembling witches. Not exactly witches. More color, less black. I shoulda got a picture. My Dad said I should, but it was 5:30 in the morning and I was deliriously tired and not thinking well. It seems these girls were looking to kidnap a Jr member of their high school color guard. Except they had the wrong address and Ashley does not live at my house. This is a common initiation thing with cheerleading and drill teams and such. The parents are all in on it and know that at 5:30 in the morning their daughter will be 'kidnapped' in her jammies to some location for some kind of ritual or other, hopefully nothing dangerous. I didn't ask them what they were going to do with Ashley if they ever found her. I sure wish my brain had been working at the time. My Dad found the whole thing very amusing and he laughed and talked with the girls for a few minutes till they headed out to regroup. Dad had to get back to Santa Anna and since he was up, decided to go ahead and set out.

After I saw him off I went back to my bed where my sleeping child and husband missed the entire thing. I went back to unrestful sleep until about 7:45 when Jackson decided to wake up. I got up with him to turn on some Mickey Mouse and get him out of his pull-up. And almost stepped on the eviscerated dead animal on my carpet. Luckily it was still dark in my room and Jackson could not see what it was, just a dark blob. He assumed the cat had poo'd and wanted to 'take a look at the cat poop.' I got him out of the room and set up in the living room and I threw an old kitchen towel over the deceased mammal and got back into my bed. For five minutes. Because my foggy, over-tired body and brain took five minutes to say, 'hey dumb ass, there is an eviscerated small animal bleeding on your carpet, covering it with a towel and letting it dry is not going to make it any easier or any less gross to clean up. So I loudly sighed hoping the resident cat-gift cleaner upper still sleeping in the bed next to me would wake up and take care of it.

And he did. I helped by fetching gloves and trash bags for the deceased mouse or rat - not sure which, it was bigger than the normal field mice we are used to seeing, but it didn't have the long tail I associate with rats. We broke out the ShamWow and David did the lion's share of the nasty work while Jackson obliviously watched Disney. He's a good man, that David, to wake up and take care of the gift his cat had brought in. And I definitely recommend any other cat and/or kid owners out there to order yourself some ShamWow. I bought them for David and Elaine for their birthdays in August. It was a gag gift because of the stupid commercials we all make fun of. But damn. They are really good for cleaning up Jackson spills, but they also got all the blood and gore out of my carpet. Their trick is absorbency. We poured lots of water mixed with oxyclean on the stains, soaked them totally and then used the ShamWow to soak it all up and it takes the spill/rat guts with it. Ok, I am done talking about that. Yuck. Get a ShamWow. Nuff Said.

So then it was 8:15. On Saturday October 4th. The day of the Leukemia Cup Regatta at the Austin Yacht Club that I had been invited to. Sailboat races benefiting the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. LLS invited me to come on the spectator Yacht 9:30 till 12:30. David and I had planned to take Jackson to ride on the boat and see the sailboats, but we were so darn tired we were wavering. Well I was wavering, David was sure. He didn't want to go. I didn't blame him. I was exhausted and wanted to go back to bed. But I also don't get invited to go on a yacht to see sailboat races very often. In fact it had never happened before. So I thought it would be stupid to not go. I was tempted to go by myself and leave Jackson with David. I could take a book with me and just kick up my feet and relax on the boat. But I couldn't do that knowing how much he would enjoy going with me, no matter how much work it would be.

And it was. I mean a three-year-old on the upper deck of a yacht wants nothing more than to hang over the railing to look at the water, which is forbidden. So it was tough. But it was worth it. There were lots of kids there. I met a little girl who was born 5 days after Jackson. She had no hair at all because she was being treated for lymphoma like I had. Once again I was thankful that it was me that cancer struck and not my child. And I was glad I brought him. He wouldn't pose for any pictures, he was tired and it makes him a little crotchety, even when he is having fun. This came out in his refusal to look at the camera for anyone to take our picture. So I tried to take one myself, but couldn't get us both in frame. So here is the best I could do.

We got to see lots of sailboats though. And it was nice and windy and they were going really fast. It looked like alot of work to steer and control the boats, but it looked like they were having fun. And raising money for LLS. So I am glad I dragged myself and Jackson out there.

I was dog tired when we got home and David awesomely let me take a nap. He let Jackson get out of his nap though. And he probably should have had one. He was so tired by 4:30 that he fell asleep on the floor for about three minutes until he peed his pants. (The ShamWow really got a workout today) Poor kid. He woke up and wanted a bath and I got him into his bed at 7:00 and he was asleep by 7:20.

And speaking of sleeping on the floor, this has become a habit for the small boy. We put him in bed, either for a nap or bedtime and he sneaks out into the long hall between his room and the living room and he lays there playing with a car or kicking his feet until we find him like this.

Or this. Not sure what I should do about this. If anything. I am glad I was able to get him to bed nice and early tonight. But he is really over-tired and is sleeping very fitfully. He has halfway woken up crying and disoriented twice. I do the same thing when I am too tired to sleep. I don't wake up crying, I just sleep like crap and have a rough time. So tomorrow I need to make sure he and I both get good naps and get into bed at a decent hour or we both will continue being miserably tired.

Sigh. I sure hope those girls found Ashley. It would suck if she got left out of the whole newby kidnapping adventure cause her kidnappers didn't get the right address. Don't guess I will ever know one way or the other. Geez, I'm tired.

No comments: