Sunday, July 06, 2008

Two pool parties - no sunburns!

Friends with pools are some of the best friends to have. We spent some quality time in a couple of different pools this holiday weekend. Jackson has become something of a little fish with his new swimmies. He quickly go the hang of them and floated around in the water and even managed to steer himself a little bit.

On the fourth we were at Kyle and Dave's house and Jackson fell in love with the hot tub. He called it a hot pool or the little pool. Said they made it just for him to swim in. He floated in the middle while the adults sat around the sides and snacked and sipped cocktails. Nice time. He was a pretty good boy. He does well at parties most of the time. Especially parties with pools and/or hot tubs.

He also got to watch some fireworks for the first time. He was impressed with the big colorful ones. But we were all disappointed with the sparklers. We have decided the new fancy paper sparklers that are supposed to be so much better than the old metal-looking sparklers are really kinda sucky. They light faster, but don't stay lit. And halfway through they start spitting hot sparks and we all got a little burned. David was holding Jackson and their sparkler went a little nuts and got sparks on Jackson sandaled foot and burned-slash-scared him pretty good. Next year we are getting the old school sparklers that work and don't burn you easily.

This afternoon David's cast had a little get-together at Renee and Andy's place. They also have a pool. We were afraid Jackson would be upset that they hadn't built a little hot pool just for him. But this pool has a cool waterfall so he was quite happy to swim around till his lips were blue and his shivering was comical. "Do you want to get out Jackson?" "Nnnn...nnn...nnoooooooo..." Very cute.

My head continues to be a bother, with the pulsing crappy headache hanging out back there making me a short-tempered complainer. Hopefully my medicine will come in the mail in the next few days. I am so cheap, I decided to suffer and do the prescription mail-order since I could get three months free. Prescription drug sale - what will they think of next? But it leaves me cranky and waiting. And waiting.

My crankiness makes me interested in the true-crime shows on tv. When I am feeling crappy I tend to tune into shows like I am watching now - Snapped, on oxygen network. Snapped profiles women who kill their husbands. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but contempt for people who are so self-centered they kill their spouses instead of saying, "hey, ya know what? I don't want to be married to you anymore." But I get this morbid fascination with these shows and others like it. What the hell is wrong with people? How can you love someone and then feed them arsenic, watching as they get sick and die. I don't get it. But watching shit like that makes me feel good about my life. Yeah, I married young and divorced young. Yeah, there were problems. But we are both still alive and have nothing but good wishes for the other. Shit, I recently met his wife and had a nice afternoon with her. There isn't any reason to be anything but kind to one another.

Course these cases I see generally involve money and property or kids. If a divorce costs you your lifestyle and that lifestyle is how you define yourself as a person...and you're a sociopath...perhaps divorce isn't an option in your world. I can't imagine a world in which I would ever wish harm on the father of my child. How can you love your child and then purposefully deprive him of his mommy or daddy?

I am just grateful to be in a good marriage that has survived the apocalypse of a baby and then the nuclear bomb of cancer. If we can get through that, I can't see either of us feeding the other arsenic.

No comments: