Thursday, April 17, 2008

Relay for Life

I signed up for the Relay for Life today. This is an all-night American Cancer Society fundraiser event held all over the country. Mine is next Friday 4/25 at the High School near my house. People walk the track all night in shifts and they have live bands and food and movies and a tent city and all kinds of stuff. I doubt I will take a tent and stay all night. I at least I want to go to the opening ceremonies and the survivor lap and remembrance ceremony. I have a kid at home and a Whorehouse rehearsal the next morning so staying out all night is probably not a good idea. Maybe I can stay till midnight or something. If anyone wants to go with me, let me know. Unless I get a sitter David has to stay home...

And if you are feeling charitable and want to sponsor me, you can go to my page and donate online. Pretty worthy cause, I think.

I will probably bawl like a baby during the luminaria ceremony. You can buy a luminaria in honor of someone. (Click the link if you want to do so) This is what the relay site has to say about it:

"For many people who attend Relay For Life®, one of the most moving parts of the event is the Ceremony of Hope. As the light dims over campsites and team members complete laps, the night is brightened by the glow of lighted bags called luminaria, each of which has a special meaning. Some luminaria celebrate the survivorship of people who have battled cancer and lived to tell the tale. Many commemorate the lives of those who have been lost to this disease. All represent a person who has been profoundly affected by cancer and the family and friends who continue to be touched by that experience."

Are you tearing up a little bit reading that? If not you are a cold-hearted bastard. Kidding, I just really wanted to say that.

Anyway...I decided to go next Friday and celebrate cancer...or whatever. Oh, and the best thing is they encourage costumes and even give an award for the best one! So I will probably go as the Chemo Queen. Or a Pirate. Not sure yet.

1 comment:

~E said...

I am gonna bust out my walking shoes!
~E