Sunday, March 16, 2008

Groceries, Audition and Lawn Mowing

We went to the grocery store at 5:30 this evening. Apparently this is a very popular time to stock up cause everyone else was there too. And Jackson insists on us using the car carts which are as long as boats, but don't have as much grocery space as a regular cart. Hard to drive in a busy store.

But still I felt grateful to be able to fill my cart with the food we wanted even though prices have gone so far up in the last few months. I worry that if things continue as they are we will have to actually budget for groceries and really look at the prices of the things we like and see where we can cut back. David brings home a good salary, but gas prices and food prices and pre-school and co-pays really eat into it. I am sure this is a pretty familiar story for many folks. Not too frightened yet, but uneasy about things to come. And the medical bills are coming, I am due to be getting some any day now, plus the PET scan coming soon. I hate thinking about money. Blah.

But we cooked a great dinner of tilapia and rice and salad. I am generally not a fish person, but am learning to like it. I just have to find the least 'fishy' fish, like salmon and tilapia. Good stuff.

I am auditioning tomorrow for the next big musical at the Palace - The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. I don't generally do musicals as I am not much of a dancer and though I sing well, I sing quietly. But this one just seems like a heck of a lot of fun and I figured I'd give it a shot. Why not? I don't have anything else to do and David will be directing a show in a few months. So Monday evening I'll head down as see how it goes. I figure I will do great in the monologue portion, pretty good in the vocal portion and passing to poor in the dance portion. But since it is my home theatre, perhaps Mary Ellen will have some compassion for my lack of dance training and let me in the chorus anyway. Heh, I'm not sure all the whores have to dance so much, maybe I could get away with suggestive movement. I can do sexy. I think. I just can't really dance. Hell, I'm even game to go on stage in really skimpy costumes, I've done it before. I wore a teddy onstage in college and in a show pre-Jackson I got stripped of my blouse onstage and had the long, black skirt I was wearing pulled up to be a sleeveless slip-dress. Quite a shocking and terribly funny moment it was. Ah, the good old days.


I took a few pictures this afternoon of Jackson and his daddy mowing the yard. Very cute. The little boy read me a couple of his favorite books before bed. It is always surprising to realize how much he knows. From a squirming lump, to a boy who can recite most of goodnight moon. Parenthood is awesome. Hard work, but awesome.

1 comment:

Ronni said...

I remember that tearaway shirt/costume! That one was fun!

You were so convinced it would look sleazy. I'm so glad it didn't!