Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Things I Hate #542...
Okay. Just a random thing that drives me crazy - people on TV interviews who ask their own questions and then answer them. For example, on Good Morning America - or The Early Show - can't remember, Diane Sawyer, I think it was, interviewed a lady from the Opus Dei. This is that radical Catholic group that is so negatively shown in the Da Vinci Code. The lady was doing her best to try to show her organization in a good light. And at one point they were discussing the the Opus Dei belief in self mortification, namely the Cilice [a spiked chain worn around the upper thigh for two hours each day.] And the Lady says "Does Opus Dei participate in self mortification? Yes. Did we invent it? No."

This drives me crazy. She could have easily said "Opus Dei may participate in self mortification, but we didn't invent it. Catholics have been doing it for centuries." Why do people being interviewed think they aren't allowed to make a statement? If you have something to say, just say it! You don't have to phrase it in the form of a question - this isn't Jeopardy, for christ's sake.

Just now while I was feeding Jackson lunch and listening to E! THS on Carmen Electra in the background another example popped up. A Baywatch producer being interviewed said "Was she bigger than Baywatch? No. Did she think she was bigger than Baywatch? Probably." Grrrr...drives me crazy!

This ranks right up there in the drives me crazy scale with people who tick things off on their fingers when trying to make a point. Does is make me want to pull my hair out? Yes. Is there anything I can do about it? No.

No comments: