Saturday, January 05, 2008

Cosmetics and Cashmere

Wow. I have lived a pretty normal life for much of this week. In addition to going back to work, I have been able to go to the grocery store after work, cooked dinner most nights, kept the house in decent condition and even did several loads of laundry. This may not sound like a big deal to you, but this is not the way I have been living for the last 6 months. Hell, longer than that if you consider the 6 to 8 months I was gradually getting sicker from Lymphoma and didn't know it. I feel like I have more energy than I have had in such a long time. And that is a nice feeling.

I discovered that Netflix has exercise rentals and even has a lot of them on their 'watch it now' function. That means streaming video online. And my 'I got cancer so I got a new, fancy TV' has input right on the side of it to hook to my 'I was hospitalized with a toxic pimple so I got a new laptop.' And 14 hours of 'watch it now' is included in my Netflix monthly fee. So twice this week I have called up Pilates-type videos and done them.

The first video was a cardio-pilates thing and I could tell it was a beginner-friendly work-out. But since I am even lower than beginner at this point, two months post chemo, I could not keep up. I just got too winded and couldn't breath and my resting heart rate is still high. Yesterday it was 116. So cardio is something I will have to work up to. I did what I could and just walked in place when I just couldn't keep going. There was a pilates mat portion of the video which is stretching and exercises and muscle work. That I did pretty well with and was good and sore the next day. Last night I did a mat pilates video and was able to do most of it, though not so gracefully and prettily as the gals on the video. And I am not terribly sore today. I may have another go at it when I am done blogging. Makes me feel in control of my own body again. I promised my mom I wouldn't go overboard, but I am really anxious to be in better physical condition. No cancer, no infections, no arms shaking while trying to pour New Year's Eve champagne.

Today was a good day. Got some laundry done and the house picked up. Then had a visit from my Mary Kay consultant, Nancy. She brought me a huge gift basket that Mary Ellen sent me for Christmas. All the skincare stuff I use plus a few lipsticks and mascara. I have gotten back into my Mary Kay routine in the last few weeks and am a devotee once again. When I use it consistently, it changes the texture of my skin. It's much softer and even in tone. And I swear it has helped improve the texture and color of the scar on my face. And since I don't have much hair, I am really focusing on making sure my face looks good, skin-wise. And I love Mary Kay. If any of you ladies have not tried it, I highly recommend it. There isn't a product that I have tried that I don't love. (Maybe I should do another Mary Kay party. If anyone is interested and lives in central Texas, let me know. I'll do a party.)

After naptime, in which Jackson didn't nap, David and I took him to Fry's for a new computer component that was on sale. Then we headed to Nordstrom to look for scarves. I had some money left on a gift card I won last spring (from Mary Kay incidentally) and wanted to find a nice scarf to go with my nice red wool pea coat. I am going to need it in NYC.

Nordstrom was sort of overwhelming. They had a large section of hats, gloves and scarves. Very expensive things. I saw one that looked nice and looked at the tag - $225. Um, not for me. And the things that were less expensive I didn't like. Too many prints and colors. The salesgirl was very nice and showed me what she was wearing - a red cashmere scarf wrap. She showed me how it would fold to be a warm scarf, then when arriving for a Broadway show, for instance, you could unfold it into a shoulder wrap. And it was on sale for $99. On sale at Nordstrom isn't the same thing as on sale at Kohls, I perceived. But what is a gift card like this for if not to buy some expensive accessory you would never have bought otherwise? So I bought a black one and I will feel pampered and special every time I wear it. Imagine, cashmere for only $99!

It has been a good week. I would say I am feeling more like myself, but I a still unsure who that is exactly in the post-cancer world. I guess I will simply have to undergo a second (or third) adolescence to figure it out.

1 comment:

Joni McClain said...

Whee! Mary Kay! Let's take some photos!