Thursday, November 30, 2006

I have seen the trailer for the movie The Nativity lately on T.V. and I can't help make a few observations about it. My first thought was that I appreciate that the actors are not Caucasian. They aren't the darkest skinned people out there, but there is definitely more than a little middle eastern-ness about them.

Then I kind of got sucked in to the story and the epic nature of the trailer. A prophesied baby, a paranoid King set on stopping the prophesied child, the angel visiting Joseph and the trek to Bethlehem and a gloriously bright star leading men to the newborn baby. Wow.

It struck me suddenly that the reason I was feeling drawn to this movie is that is the same kind of story I prefer to read. I love to read fantasy books and this story is no different than dozens of my favorite novels. Writers, like David Eddings, Mercedes Lackey and Elizabeth Moon all write wonderfully epic stories that take you to a different world where Gods rule with a visible hand, prophesies are met by those born to meet them, and Magic is a reality. The Harry Potter books are a great example of what I am talking about. I love these stories and can't wait till the authors finish the series so Good can triumph and the Evil get what they deserve.

Now, people who know me understand that I am not a religious person. I do not believe in the Nativity story as a true happening. While I do believe there was a man named Jesus who tried to teach others a better way to live and treat one another, I do not believe that his mother was a virgin impregnated by God. As an agnostic, I won't even say that there is a God. But I think the Nativity is a great story and looks like it will make a great movie.

Just like I think they should make the Belgariad into a series of movies like they did the Lord of the Rings. I don't think we should fight any wars with people who don't believe that Garion is the true Rivan King ordained by the Gods to rule, but I do think it is just as great a story.

No comments: